Poinsettia Care In Your Store
• Poinsettias should be unpacked immediately upon arrival. If this is not possible the boxes must be opened or the tops cut off to allow the ethylene gas to escape. If this not done, the ethylene gases that poinsettias release will suffocate the plants causing them to droop and become limp. This process is not reversible.
• Poinsettias must be stored and displayed out of coolers and refrigerated areas. This will cause irreversible chill damage.
• Displays should be located out of drafty areas
• The top half of the soil should be allowed to dry before watering poinsettias.
• Poinsettias cannot sit in water. They need ‘dry feet’. This will drown the plant, causing the leaves to drop and become yellow. Once this process starts, it will continue to work its way up to the top of the plant.
• Older, damaged poinsettias should be removed from the display as these will detract from the rest of the display.