2017 Passover & Easter Merchandising Notes
Important Passover Holiday Items:
Bitter Herbs are very important for the Seder Plate – Horseradish, Dill, Endive, Escarole, Romaine, Leeks, Onions, Ginger, Soup Mix.
Take Orders Now For 50 Lb. Horseradish, 25 Lb. Turnips, Beets & Parsnips, Full Case Dill, Root Parsley & Leeks.
Beets, Carrots, Parsley & Parsley Root, Kirby &
Euro Cucumbers, Green & Colored Peppers, Celery & Celery Root, Scallions, Spinach, Green Vegetables (No Beans), Red Cabbage, Turnips, Parsnips, Fennel, Garlic, Rosemary, Basil, Thyme, and Oregano
Pineapple, Peaches, Apricots, Nectarines, Apples, Oranges, All Berries, Melons, and Grapes
Sweet Potatoes & Yams, White, Gold & Red Potatoes, Walnuts (in-shell and meats) Kosher for Passover dried fruits & honey
CERTIFIED KOSHER FOR PASSOVER ON SELECT ITEMS?
Dole – YES
Fresh Express – YES
Attitude/Veg Pro – NO
Olivia’s State Garden – NO
Taylor Farms/Green Giant – YES
organicgirl – YES
Earthbound – NO
Easter is April 16, 2017
A good plan for this special holiday needs to take shape now to make sure that we are set up for success.
• Order holiday semi-perishable and hard tonnage items early. Plan on getting your tonnage items into your stores by the Tuesday before Easter.
• Develop an off-peak or evening fill schedule for your hard goods (potatoes, onions, dips, dressings, nuts, etc)
• Stay ahead with ripening bananas and tomatoes in order to have ready-to-eat, mature fruit on display. Consumers will want to consume this product immediately.
• Easter business comes late. Good Friday & Saturday are crazy business days at the supermarket.
• If you bring in your key holiday volume items early this will help your department’s efficiency and organization. It will also take pressure off of our warehouse selectors, loaders, and trucks to help prevent delayed deliveries on those crucial final days before the holiday weekend.
• If you are not waiting on trucks and have the product on hand, your department operations will run as smoothly and efficiently as possible. Your time will be more productive working on the sales floor, engaging with your customers.
• Asparagus and Asparagus Tips
• Green Beans
• Green Cabbage
• Snow & Sugar Snap Peas
• Cole Slaw Mix
• Salad Mixes
• Baby Peeled Carrots
• Colored Peppers
• Field-Grown & Euro Cucumbers
• Herbs, especially Parsleys
• Broccoli Rabe
• Savoy & Red Cabbage
• Brussels Sprouts
• Butternut & Acorn Squash
• Parsley Root & Celery Root
• Fresh Greens
• Romaine & Leaf Lettuces
• Bunched Radishes
• Golden Pineapple
• All Berries
• Red & Green Seedless Grapes
• Mini-Seedless & Regular Watermelons
• California Navel Oranges
• Lemons & Limes (essential for all seafood dishes that will be consumed through Easter)
• Potted Bulbs & Flowers
• Palm Crosses
• Fresh-Cut Flowers
• New crop Red & Yellow Potatoes
• Sweet Potatoes
• White & Russet Potatoes